2/21/09

Course Readings--Section I

Basic Readings taken from---(REQUIRED TEXT)

THE NORTON ANTHOLOGY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN LITERATURE, SECOND EDITION with two audio cds of folk culture.
http://books.wwnorton.com/books/detail-contents.aspx?ID=10626

I. WEB Du Bois, SOULS OF BLACK FOLK (1903)
  Chapters I, III, IV, V, VI, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, and The After-Thought

VISUALS:

Negro Exhibit at the Paris Exposition (1900):
Archival reconstruction by Eugene F. Provenzo, Jr., School of Education, University of Miami
http://www.education.miami.edu/ep/Paris/home.htm  

African American Photographs Assembled for the Paris Exposition of 1900:
Photographs Online Catalog, Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/anedub/

SUPPLEMENTARY READINGS:

Thomas Jefferson, DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE (1776);


Frederick Douglass, NARRATIVE OF THE LIFE OF FREDERICK DOUGLASS (1836)
 LIFE AND TIMES OF FREDERICK DOUGLASS (Excerpts) (c1890)

Harriet Jacobs, INCIDENTS IN THE LIFE OF A SLAVE GIRL (1851):
Preface, Chapters I, II, V, X, XIV, XVII, XXI, XXIX, XXXIX, XL, XLI

Harriet Wilson, OUR NIG; OR SKETCHES FROM THE LIFE OF A FREE BLACK IN A TWO STORY WHITE HOUSE, NORTH (c. 1951):
Preface, Chapters I, II, II, VIII, X and XII


Booker T. Washington, UP FROM SLAVERY (1893); Chapters I, II, III, XIV

AUDIO FILES:

Spirituals--
Ezekiel Saw De Wheel, Go Down, Mose, Been in the Storm So Long, Steal Away to Jesus, Soon I Will Be Done

Gospels--This Little Light of Mine, Take My Hand, Precious Lord


No comments: